THE PARISH OF Creswick
- St Augustine’s
117 Napier Street, Creswick
- St Thomas Aquinas
92 Bailey Street, Clunes
St Thomas Aquinas Church is no longer a Sunday mass centre- but is still available for funerals and others gatherings. Mass of Anointing is celebrated once a month- date to be published in newsletter.
Wednesday 9.30am - 11.30am
|Phone (03) 5345 2160
Christmas Eve 9.00pm
Christmas Morning: 8.45am
Daylesford Christmas Eve 7.00pm &
Christmas Morning 10.30am
- Parish Bulletin 26th March 2017 4th Sun LENT - 26 Mar 2017
- Parish Bulletin 3rd Sun LENT 12 March 2017 - 19 Mar 2017
- Parish Newsletter 2nd Sun LENT 12 March 2017 - 12 Mar 2017
- Parish Bulletin 1st Sun LENT MARCH 5 2017 - 5 Mar 2017
- Parish Bulletin 26 Feb 2017 8th Sun Ord Time - 26 Feb 2017
- Parish Bulletin 19 Feb 2017 7th Sun Ord Time - 19 Feb 2017
- Parish Bulletin 12 Feb 2017 6th Sun Ord Time - 12 Feb 2017
- Parish Bulletin 5 Feb 2017 5th Ord - 5 Feb 2017
- Parish Bulletin 29 Nov 2017 4th Sun Ord - 29 Jan 2017
- Parish Bulletin 22 January 2017 3rd Sun Ord - 22 Jan 2017
- Parish Bulletin 15 Jan 2017 2nd ORD - 15 Jan 2017
- Parish Bulletin 8 Jan 2017 EPIPHANY - 8 Jan 2017
- Parish Bulletin 1 Jan 2017 NYD, Solemnity of Mary - 1 Jan 2017
- Parish Bulletin 18 DEC 4th Sun ADVENT 2016 - 18 Dec 2016
- Parish Bulletin 11 Dec 2016 3rd Sun ADVENT - 11 Dec 2016
- Parish Bulletin 4 Dec 2016 2nd Sun ADVENT - 4 Dec 2016
- Parish Bulletin 27 Nov 2016 1st Advent REMEMBRANCE - 27 Nov 2016
- Parish Bulletin 20 NOV 2016 Feast of CTK & CONFIRMATION - 20 Nov 2016
- Parish Bulletin 13 Nov 2016 33rd Sun Ord Time - 13 Nov 2016
- Parish Bulletin 6 Nov 2016 32nd Sun Ord time - 6 Nov 2016
The Parish of Creswick includes the church communities of Creswick and Clunes.
The first parish building in Creswick was a timber church-school which was completed in early 1856. In 1858, land was acquired in Bailey St. Clunes where a small chapel was built and in 1859 a school was built at Coghills’ Creek. At this time, the parish was served by priests based in Ballarat. In 1859, a priest (Fr McGirr) served the combined parishes of Creswick and Daylesford. Creswick and Daylesford were jointly served until in June 1862 Creswick when it got its first resident priest.
The first presbytery in Creswick was a red-brick building built in 1867 and was replaced by the current grey brick building in 1966. The current bluestone church in Creswick was completed in 1872, although the sacristy and sanctuary were added in 1938. The history of the parish is given in much greater detail in the book written by the then Parish Priest, Mgr. James McInerney, called “Murderer’s Bell” published for the centenary of the church in 1972.
The original chapel built in Clunes was replaced by a Gothic-styled timber church in 1866. The current bluestone church building was begun in 1872 and officially opened in June 1874. The timber church was moved to a site immediately behind the current church and was used as a school until it closed in 1926. In 1903, fire destroyed a house used as the presbytery and a new red-brick presbytery was officially opened in January 1905. A more detailed history of the St Thomas Aquinas was written and printed in a small booklet by Ros O’Brien in 1998.
Our parish currently includes about 250 families with the average Sunday Mass attendance of about 120 people. There are about 20 baptisms, 5 marriages, and 12 funerals performed annually. Our primary school has an enrolment of between 100 and 110 children coming from about 60 families. Our parish supports the local secondary schools in Ballarat – St Patrick’s College, Loreto College, and Damascus College. The parish covers the area of Creswick, Sulky, Wattle Flat, Springmount, Newlyn (part), Broomfield, Allendale, Kingston, Smeaton, Clunes, Glendaruel, Tourello, Coghill’s Creek, and Bald Hills.
Rev Gary is also Parish Priest of Daylesford Parish.
Also Priest Supervising/ Parish of Gordon.
|Parish Office (Daylesford)
Ph: 5348 2026
Catholic Primary School
|St Augustine's Primary School
Napier Street, Creswick
|Principal Mr Terry Brennan|