Diocesan Historical Commission
The Ballarat Diocesan Historical Commission holds many historial records regarding the administration of the Diocese. It holds general materials about Ballarat parishes and about some Catholic Agencies and Institutions. With a few exceptions, it does not hold records of individuals.
To collect and preserve in its archives all documents, photographs, objects of significance to the history and heritage of the Catholic Diocese of Ballarat. These include parish histories, architectural plans, correspondence, sacramental objects, liturgical items, vestments, etc that have relevance to the heritage and the history of the faith community encompassed today bu the Catholic people of this region.
By properly administering this collection as laid down in the Vatican Cultural Commission so as to make it available to researchers and those enquiring into the history of the church and the faith community in this region. These aims encompass our purpose to serve the Diocese and the wider church.
The Historical Commission encourages parishes to place information about significant events with the Commission. Parishes should maintain an archive in the parish, if parishes or other donors wish to lodge objects or original documents and retain copies, this too is acceptable. This dual holding safeguards the faith community in the case of loss at one repository or the other.
- Parish Newsletters (not weekly Notice Sheets)
- Minutes of Transition Teams meeting
- Letters relating to Parish boundary changes
- Newspaper artiles relating Parish events (please include date, page and name of article and publication).
- Photographs of events and persons (include date, event and donor details - please be aware of privacy issues).
- Parish Files
- Local Histories
- Architectural Drawings and Plans
- Index to the Catholic pater 'The Advocate'
- Index to the Diocesan paper 'Light' (Complied by Fr. T Linane)
- All Diocesan papers are held including 'Light'
- 'The Australian Catholic Record'
- 'Austral Light'
- Some Church Agencies and organisational records (e.g. CYMS, Altar Societies etc.)
- Australian Catholic Directories from 1888
*Note: The Diocesan archive does not hold sacramental records.
Secretary: Mr Michael Taffe
Mr Michael Taffe
PO Box 121
Ballarat VIC 3353
Phone: (03) 5337 7121
Fax: (03) 5332 1122
Email: Diocesan Historical Commission